Opal Cardigan // Paprika patterns

Monday, February 15, 2016


Hello lovely readers! I've been thinking about sewing patterns and my wardrobe lately. What makes a sewing pattern, a good pattern? On my opinion, one of the things that make a sewing pattern stand out is its diversity. Countless versions could be made out of this pattern and multiple fabrics would be appropriate to use. One such pattern I'm here to talk to you about today!

This is the newest pattern from Paprika patterns, the Opal Cardigan.

"The Opal Cardigan is perfect to throw on if you want to add more dimension to your outfit, or just to stay warm this winter. It’s even better for those days where you’re not sure you’ll need the extra layer since it’s so easy to throw on and off. It has a relaxed fit so you can wear it over anything if you need the extra layer. It’s just as easy to take off again since it has no buttons or buttonholes. This makes it a really quick sew as well, to be finished in just a few hours."


This pattern is really versatile! It has a dropped shoulder, three different hem lengths, two sleeve lengths and two different pockets, designed to fit both the shorter and longer versions. The front openings are finished with bands, as well as the sleeves, so no fussy buttonholes are needed!

You could use really any type of knit fabric you'd like and that will determine the overall look of your cardigan. Lisa has a blog post on the recommended fabrics for this pattern, as well as a 20% off from Gorgeous Fabrics on their sweater knits until March 15th with the code PARPIKA20.


For my version, I went with View C for the hem (the longer option) and View A for the sleeves (the longer option) and omitted the pockets, since I'm not really a fan. I cut a size B, without any modifications and the fit is perfect. For this one, I used a more drapey knit, to achieve a more relaxed look. I love the final look. I could throw this over anything and it would make for an interesting extra layer.

I can't recommend this pattern enough! The drafting is exceptional, the instructions are really clear and the possibilities are endless! I already have two more versions planned!



*Disclaimer: I received this pattern from Lisa for free to review. I was not paid to review this pattern and all the opinions are my own!*

You Might Also Like

0 comments