Sarah Shirt // By Hand London

Sunday, February 28, 2016


Hello lovely people! This post had to be up a loooong time ago, but you know...., life happens and etc., so here it is now. Lately I rediscovered my long lost love for two things. prints and button down shirts. And when the two are combined, well..., that's a match made in heaven! So when the lovely ladies from By Hand London contacted me to be a pattern tester on their new button down shirt I shouted HELL YEAH! And I knew this one had to be in a print!

So let me properly introduce, By Hand London's new "child", the Sarah Shirt!

"Sarah is no ordinary shirt. Feminine and drapey yet chic and polished, Sarah is a button-up swing shirt with plenty of ease that clings and skims in all the right places. Choose from long, billowy sleeves and a dainty rounded collar or short cuffed sleeves and a traditional pointed collar."


The pattern comes in two sleeve lengths (long and short) and two collar options (a rounded collar and a pointed collar).It has pleats on the shoulders, a back yoke, a center back pleat, and an overall flowy fit, which is flattering in almost every shape.


I sewed Variation 1(long sleeved version), but used the collar from Variation 2(pointed collar).

I cut a size 8/12 for the bust and graded up to a size 10/14 for the waist and hips. For reference my measurements are B:90cm,W:76cm,H99cm.

The fit is perfect, roomy, without the potato-sack effect. It makes you feel put together, without it being restrictive.

As always with By Hand London patterns, the drafting is exceptional and the instructions were really clear and easy to follow.

As for fabric, I used a viscose rayon for my version, which was a very smart choice, if I say so. Everything sewed really effortless and pressed really nicely. I used up 2 meters of fabric, 10 buttons and 4 small snaps for the sleeves.


I seriously love this shirt! It's been worn at least once a week, since I finished it, and I can't wait to make another version! It's the perfect combination of chic and comfortable! As always a big shout-out to the fabulous By Hand London girls for another amazing pattern! 


*Disclaimer: I received this pattern from By Hand London patterns for free to test, but all opinions are my own. I sent feedback on the draft to the girls, which were included in the final pattern. I was not paid to test this pattern, and was given a free copy of the final pattern as compensation.*

You Might Also Like

0 comments