B&W Summer Shorts

Wednesday, July 20, 2016


Hello, hello! Summer wardrobe is in full mode and I couldn't be happier! You have to admit, there's something really satisfying in summer sewing. The minimum amounts of fabrics, the light and airy textiles, the colors and the -usually- fewer sewing hours.

This project was one exceptional example of summer sewing. It used only 1.5m of a beautiful viscose fabric, it has a lot of interesting details and it came together in one afternoon.


If you are a long time reader of this space you will know that I much prefer sewing with indie patterns and I have expressed these feelings a lot of times. I just find the fit and style of indie sewing patterns much more modern and well drafted.

A few years back, I used to buy every single issue of the Burdastyle magazine, but most of the times I would sew only one or none of the designs. I got a bit frustrated by the old-fashioned designs and the bad fit of the final garments, that I stopped buying it. But browsing through the Internet a few months back, I came across the May issue and I found myself liking many designs, as well as their style. So I thought I give it another go and buy the issue. And I was pleasantly surprised. Burdastyle has put a real effort to modernise the magazine and the patterns. I have already traced six patterns from the magazine.


I thought I'd start with the Pleated Shorts 05/2016 #102A that immediately caught my eye. They feature waistband pleats, decorative back pockets, belt loops and a handmade fabric belt. I was immediately sold. For these, I cut a size 40, but I ended up taking in the sides by 0,5cm. The waist is just a tiny bit roomy still, so I think I could have gotten away with a size 38. I used 1,5m of a viscose fabric that sewed up beautifully. The print of the fabric, makes it difficult to detect all the features of the shorts, but I couldn't resist to this b&w splash print.


Overall I love these shorts and they are quickly becoming a summer wardrobe staple. I think I'll have to make another pair soon. 


A big thank you to my friend Kristi for modelling the shorts in these pictures.

What are you sewing lately? Is it all about summer or winter sewing on your part of the world?

You Might Also Like

0 comments